Sunday, March 8, 2009

Death and Life: Part Two

I need to update more regularly. If Vikarion and I continue to get podded on a regular basis, I could lose things. Things I don't want to lose, can't afford to lose.

Like what happened a few nights ago, at Ciarente's celebration. It was a good party, at first. I enjoyed seeing people in person that I've only ever talked to through communication channels, seeing everyone dressed up and getting the opportunity to relax a little. That was my mistake, of course. I got distracted, talking to Zegerth (she does, admittedly, have some fascinating implants) and Cia nearly died. Someone, we don't know who, poisoned her drink. And I was sitting not three seats away, chatting idly while someone attempted to murder my friend.

I was trained to defend people at events like these. Yes, I was intended primarily for show, but my mentor always said 'you don't have to live down to expectations.' If I had been paying attention, maybe I would have noticed a drink being switched, or something being put in it. If I'd been doing my job, instead of becoming moon-eyed over some...

That is why I'm teaching Cia to defend herself. I can't correct the mistakes in my past, but I can atone for them. I can help make my friends safe, so I will. Cia is a good student, obedient and willing to work hard. She really could become a decent fighter. It is sad, in a way. So much about her is innocent and it brings sorrow to my heart to take that innocence away from her.

But what choice do we have?

No comments:

Post a Comment